Lifeguard Certificate Class
For Ages 15+
Learn Life Saving Skills
The Y is the leader in swim safety and training. Participants receive the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond quickly to aquatic emergencies.
- Water Rescue Skills
- Surveillance and Recognition
- First Aid
- Breathing & Cardiac Emergencies
- CPR Mask & Lifeguard Manual Included
Lifeguard, First Aid and CPR/AED Certifications are valid for two years.
$175 Lifeguard Certification for Members & Non-Members
Registration is Required
Lifeguard Class in Wausau
December 27, 28 & 29
- Wednesday, Thursday & Friday
- 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Class Location: Woodson YMCA Wausau Branch
The primary purpose of the Lifeguarding program is to train lifeguards to act with speed and confidence in emergency situations both in and out of the water.
- Must be 15 years of age
- Ability to swim 300 yards
- 100 front crawl with rhythmic breathing
- 100 breaststroke and 100 of front crawl and breaststroke
- Swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke
- Surface dive 9 ft.
- Retrieve a 10-lb object
- Return to surface
- Swim 20 yards on back with both hands on the brick to the start point and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute 40 seconds
- Treading water for two minutes.
All materials included.
- Certification issued upon successful completion of the course.
- Course graduates 15 years of age and older are encouraged to apply for Y employment.
- Class times might be adjusted based on class size and ability.
Classes might cancel due to low enrollment. Refunds will be given for cancelled courses only, not for failing to pass the prerequisite swim test or online portion of course.