SWIM LESSONS | SKILLS FOR LIFE
With a focus on water safety and skill development, the YMCA Swim Lesson program is effective at helping children and adults learn to swim and, most importantly, be safe around water. The Y was the first organization to establish certification programs for lifesaving, swimming and aquatic instruction, and it's a tradition we're proud to continue today.
WINTER SWIM CLASSES
Classes Start: January 3rd, 2022 -February 22, 2022
Woodson YMCA, 707 Third Street, Wausau, WI 54403
- Stages 1 & 2 are 30-minute lessons.
- Stages 3- 6 are 45 minutes.
- Registration for Member starts December 21, 2021
- Registration for Non-Members starts December 28th, 2021
Schedule of classes and times - download PDFs
Whether you're looking for basic water safety courses, first aid or to become a certified lifeguard, the Y is the leader in swim safety and training.
Infant & Toddlers | Accompanied by a *Parent
- Infants and toddlers learn swim readiness skills through fun and confidence-building aquatic experiences.
- A: Water Discovery
- B: Water Exploration
- Parent* & Child in the Water
*At the Y, we know families take a variety of forms. As a result, we define parent broadly to include all adults with primary responsibility for raising children, including biological parents, adoptive parents, guardians, stepparents, grandparents, or any other type of parenting relationship.
Recommended skills for all to have around water. Students learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competency by learning two benchmark skills: Swim-Float-Swim and Jump, Push, Turn, Grab.
Skills to support a healthy lifestyle. Having mastered the fundamentals, students learn additional water safety skills and build stroke technique, develope skills that prevent chronic disease, increase social-emotional and cognitive well-being, and foster a lifetime of physical activity.
This special lesson session will introduce more techniques for swimmers who are interested in learning more about swimming as a competitive sport. There are no volunteer or competition requirements to be registered for Pre-Team.
Open to ages 5- 13! Register
• fundamentals of competitive swimming • efficient stroke technique
• body balance in the water and sculling • finishes and turns
• competitive swimming starts
FALL 1: Sept. 3 – Oct. 19
FALL 2: Oct. 27 – Dec. 14
We ask that members/guests observe the following Aquatic Policies:
• Make-ups: Make-up classes are not provided for missed classes.
• Cancelling Classes: The YMCA may need to cancel or combine classes due to low enrollment.
• Refund Policy: Refunds/credits will not be issued due to inclement weather or personal schedule conflicts. Credits may be given for medical reasons only, and must have Aquatic Director’s approval.
• Registration: All fees are due at the time of registration. Mail-in registration is not accepted. Fees are non-refundable.
• Food/Beverages: To ensure the cleanliness of our aquatic facility, food cannot be allowed on the pool deck. Beverages need to be in a non-glass, no-spill container. Chewing gum is not allowed in the aquatic facility.
• Swim Attire: Proper swim suits need to be worn in the swimming pool. Please refer to this visual guide for allowed swim attire.
• Street Shoes: To maintain cleanliness of our deck facilities and to follow the WI Dept. of Health and Family Services codes; we cannot allow street shoes on the pool decks. Shoes not worn on the street is an acceptable alternative.
• Electronic Devices: Electronic devices, including cell phone, cannot be used in locker rooms. Please be polite and have telephone conversations outside of our program areas.