A quick search on YouTube will display creative ways swimmers across the country tried to stay in the water during the closure of their health clubs. But for those who tried to perform a backstroke in a bath tub, it was clear there was no real replacement for a pool!
Our branches reopened, with limited capacities and precautions on June 1, and members who had sorely missed their favorite branch pool were given the ability to reserve a lap lane.
It wasn’t the same experience of being in the water, due to safeguards for tracking appointment times and distancing guidelines, but our members were delighted to swim or water walk after three months on dry land.
“Members have been so excited to get back in the pool, many have begun swimming daily, while lifeguards have been able to catch up with members they haven’t seen in months,” said Aquatics Director Chelsea Klutterman.
Morning lap swim has been the most in demand time for member reservations, made in our Appointment King system, Klutterman said. Members are given 45 minute reservations and now, they can extend their appointments. Lifeguards do have to sanitize pool areas in between each reservation time but we’ve allowed swimmers to stay for back-to-back slots, when space permits.
To comply with state and local directives, our pools will keep reduced capacity and reduced hours, while accommodating for social distancing.
A few things to keep in mind:
- During this time the pool is open to members only. No visitors will be permitted at the pool.
- The Y will not provide towel service at this time. Please bring your own towel.
- Access to the showers and locker rooms will be limited to rinsing off before and after swimming.
- We recommend you arrive at the Y in your swimsuit and ready to swim.
- Anyone exhibiting signs and symptoms of illness may be turned away or asked to leave the pool.
- Reservations for lap lanes are required and can be done through our website or by calling our front desk. Members are provided a 45 minute appointment. Reservations become available 1 week in advance.
To find out the operating hours of our pool, visit our Reopening page.